Expansion Credit Price List

Management of the simulation and out-of-character discussion
Scott Alexander

Expansion Credit Price List

Post by Scott Alexander »

This is in response to Nicholas' request here for more on uses of expansion credits. In the future, these may become buyable by different types of credits which can be "bought" and "traded", but for now, it's ECs all the way down.

I'll change the values of entries on this list, or delete them entirely, in response to either a Senate resolution asking me to do so or just a good reason.

COSTS

- Original territory plus one capital city on map: FREE
- Expansion: 1 EC per pixel
- New named city on the map: 1500 EC
- New named ocean city on the map: 3000 EC
- New unusual icon on the map such as Fides' tunnels: 1500 EC per tunnel (new icons likely to cost more)
- Road or railroad on map: 1500 EC per latitude box crossed (more for crossing rough terrain)
- Major, PLAUSIBLE land changes (eg canals, small artificial islands): INQUIRE

- Forum moved one space up, displacing less active forum: 500 EC
- Forum moved one space up, displacing more active forum: 2000 EC
- Forum moved down: FREE (consider cutting deals with other people where they pay you for requesting this)
- Subforum: 3000 EC

- Scott will make a map of your statelet for: 5000 EC (more if complicated requests, and only when I have free time)

BOUNTIES

- 1000 EC for recruiting a new citizen into a statelet. (1)
- 2000 EC for recruiting a new statelet into Archipelago. (2)
- 2000 EC or thereabouts for winning a Conworlding Contest
- 1000 EC or thereabouts for winning runner-up in a Conworlding Contest.
- The Senate and Autokrator may set other, more specific bounties.

1: You receive this bounty after the new person reaches a post count of thirty (if person is already a Bastionado, an Archipelago-specific post count of thirty). Attempts to inflate post count will be noted and dealt with.

2: You receive this bounty if the new statelet specifically mentions you as a reference in their registration thread entry, and after the new statelet reaches a post count of thirty. Attempts to inflate post count will be noted and dealt with.

Everything that currently exists is grandfathered in and therefore free. That includes Aryeztur's Sattva subforum, and all statelet and citizen recruitments.

You can see how many ECs you have in the data dump thread. Please make all requests for transactions with the Pelagian government on this thread.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Re: Expansion Credit Price List

Post by Harvey »

Oh sweet! I didn't see that I'm sneaking Basin in for cheap! I want to spend the EC make that happen.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Quick question, how much to get Colony permanently last on the forum list? I'm kinda motifing here...
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Cut a deal with the people above you, Fides, make lots of money! :NCU:
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Scott, did you have to pay 1000 EC to get the ruins icon?

Scott Alexander

Harvey: I didn't. I thought it was a natural progression from a destroyed city, rather than a new addition to the map. If people think I should, I will.

Fides: Done. If anyone else has the same idea, you'll have to fight em for it, though.

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Is the primary purpose of spending ECs to get icons on the map to save the Autokrator from doing excess work on the map, or to make ECs more valuable (by having more things to spend them on and by having a way for them to exit the system)? If it's the former then Scott can have whatever icons he likes for himself.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Purpose aside, it's important to play it fair, much like how I could easily move the Favored's forum to the top using admin powers but won't.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Thanks Scott

Scott Alexander

In connection with the previous "don't go making little enclaves everywhere" request, I am thinking of making it cost [3 x distance] EC to start a colony, before you even start expanding.

For example, let's say Aryasht wanted to colonize the little island below the "C" in "ECHARAS". The island is a thousand pixels, so it would normally cost 1000 EC, but it's also 200 px away from Aryasht's borders. So Aryasht must pay 600 EC just to launch the colonizing expedition, and then a further 1000 EC to colonize the island, for a total cost of 1600 EC. Or if Lant wanted to colonize northern Apollantis, it would cost 930 just to launch the expedition, before they even started expanding. (If Lant wanted to colonize the island near Aryasht, it would cost 6000 EC).

The only exception to this rule would be if you can't expand without building a colony - eg you're on an island and you already occupy the whole island, or your neighbors are hemming you in. For example, if the Favored want to expand to Kennerext Island, that's free, because they have nowhere better to go (they're still going to have to pay if they want to expand to Calaspira or somewhere crazy like that).

However, if people really oppose this idea, I'll drop it.

I'm also thinking of halving the cost of expansion (1 EC buys two pixels) to compensate for this and to celebrate the addition of several new islands pretty soon.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Hmmm... So it would be cheaper to just buy a 1 pixel wide road there and back? I know we'd block it as abusing the system, but I don't think it's actually harder to build in A and build in B than to build in A and build all the way to B.

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

I has a question, and I don't know if it's been brought up before:

If you can add a certain number of pixels to your territory by spending ECs, can you get ECs by giving up territory?
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I would presume not, because we all started with different size land.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave. But he does deserve a cool war ribbon.
However, this account still manages:
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn - Speaker of Nelaga, Minister of Interior Affairs, and a Micron

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Maybe a limit to how much land you can sell off in a month or something?

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Can't help but :/ at the fact that the price is getting halved after I was the only one to spend credits.

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

If the price halving is put through (note that it's only a suggestion at this time) I would support retroactively refunding the difference to you.

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

Maybe a limit to how much land you can sell off in a month or something?
That'd be sensible. Or possibly you'd have to wait for a certain amount of time after you first got the land... so long as there was some simple mechanism to keep people from abusing the flexibility in the amount of land they were granted.

It's just that, although I'm not sure I'd actually do it, I don't think it should be disallowed if someone else wanted to. It would allow people a bit of trade-off with their statelets; they could give up a portion of land they didn't plan on doing anything with, and use the proceeds to develop it further.
If the price halving is put through (note that it's only a suggestion at this time) I would support retroactively refunding the difference to you.
As would I.
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Post by Kallinn Ynnetrrr »

But then there are some nations, like mine, who started with a very small area of land, and don't really have that much to give up for ECs. It seems a bit unfair, in my opinion. I can't trade off my land, just because my original claim was modest.

Aryeztur

Post by Aryeztur »

In my opinion, we should just screw this whole credit system. People should just be given land and make claims by the map-master on the basis of the strength of their claim and their overall activity.
The Great King, King of Kings, King of the World

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

I like the credit system, personally. It gives some incentive to statelet development. But if we scrapped it, the judgment of claims and expansions should fall to the Senate, rather than the mapmaster; in that I agree with Scott's stated sentiments on map management.
Kallinn Ynnetrrr wrote:But then there are some nations, like mine, who started with a very small area of land, and don't really have that much to give up for ECs. It seems a bit unfair, in my opinion. I can't trade off my land, just because my original claim was modest.
Yeah, that's a good point... maybe if we introduced some kind of semi-equalizing factor? Like, the bigger an initial claim is, the less someone'd get back for each pixel?

...Bah. That'd be too complicated. I think I'll just withdraw the idea.

Return to “Control Room”