[Competition 8F] Metacontest

Scott Alexander

[Competition 8F] Metacontest

Post by Scott Alexander »

The theme of this contest is to come up with the theme of the following contest.

Seriously. Come up with an interesting competition that lots of people will enter, that will be fun, and which will help people develop their statelets.

We'll vote on it next week, and whichever gets the highest vote will be the contest for the week after that, as well as earning its proponent some ECs.

Demon of Fides

Re: [Competition 8F] Metacontest

Post by Demon of Fides »

How very half-asred :P

I challenge everyone to an Olympics-style race around the world in 80 days. Each nation puts forward one team who have to keep a travelog over the course of the adventure. Did I say Olympics-style? I mean Wacky-Racers-style.

Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

So lazy, but I do see the wisdom of encouraging us to suggest contest ideas. Especially since even the losing ideas can be used for contests in a pinch :D

My suggestion for next week's contest is that everyone come up with a pan-Archipelago one time event. These events should be totally optional (so nobody has to worried about their statelet getting destroyed by a meteor or something) but not so droll that we get into Scott's example of writing 2000 words on a tsunami, due Tuesday. It would also be nice if this event, whatever it was, made a minor, permanent, EC-credit free adjustment to the map. An example off the top of my head would be a telluric fluxuation threatening to raise or destroy an unclaimed island and so a research team is sent to investigate, possibly revealing strange things about the world or maybe some old Micras artifact or some nonsense, with the lasting map inpact being either the island raising or lowering or a permanent scientific outpost being put on the map. That's not that great of an idea really, but I have this week and the next to come up with something better!

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Write a few paragraphs about superstitions that are common in your statelet; if none, why not?

ari
Grim Auxiliator

Post by ari »

Describe a stereotype the rest of the world might have of your nation's citizens, and what is accurate about it and what isn't.
Lord Furniture
Not even partially responsible for Malarboria; will take the blame for Caverden, though!
Tallest and therefore Greatest of the Janitors
Eternal Watcher of #micronations

Adelene

Post by Adelene »

Describe the traditional form and symbolism of a ceremony that's held for most members of your society, as individuals or members of a specific group. (Birthday parties and marriages come to mind, for this, but hopefully people will be able to come up with more interesting ceremonies.)

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Describe a minority (ethnic, racial, religious, cultural, political, etc) group within your statelet. Why are they in the minority (migration, wealth, caste)? How are they treated by the rest of society (oppressed, honored, shunned)?
The ghost of Nathan Waffel-Paine

Winged One

Post by Winged One »

Well, the Autokrator says I can give you Alicorn's spare ideas, so... Image

Yeah. Ponies. Design a pony to represent your statelet (an equipomorphization, if you will). Boss says she'll draw the winner.

Harvey
Ghost of Christmas Past

Post by Harvey »

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Post by Kallinn Ynnetrrr »

Did you draw those? Or are they tweeked versions of existing pictures?

Alicorn

Post by Alicorn »

I drew those. And then some. And then a few more, too. (But y'all here are unlikely to know these people.)

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Those are pretty good, yet mildly unsettling. I hope you draw more than ponies :P

Carl Jackson

Post by Carl Jackson »

Needs moar fantrolls.

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

Ok ok ok, so here's my submission:

Describe the popular music trends in your statelet. Suggested topics include: locally successful genres, what kind of people listen what kinds of music, what real-world musicians sound close to what your statelet's musicians play, what historical events have affected music in your statelet (or what musical events have had an effect on your statelet's history)

Shyriath
CONDOLORD

Post by Shyriath »

Heehee, ponies. ...Which reminds me, one of these days I need to finish mine...

Anyway, I'll throw in my RP-oriented suggestion: create a character native to your statelet, write a brief description of the character, and perhaps a short (like, one-post short) story of from the character's daily life.
Shyriath Farstrider (aka Shyriath Bukolos), KD MOU OLH XBH
Viscount Farstrider of Erysisceptrum, Count Bukolos of the Condo, Harbinger of Cheese

TOTUS MUNDUS TABULAM RASAM EST

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

PONIES!

Is there a way to combine all the suggestions so far?

Perhaps a Race around the World with one Minority Pony Musician competing from each statelet?
Hier post ich, ich kann nicht anders

Kallinn Ynnetrrr

I foresee most if not all of these suggestions being used eventually.

Return to “Contest Archives”